‘Unprecedented’ bloody fighting over Bakhmut, says Kyiv
Ukrainian and Russian armed forces are fighting extraordinarily bloody battles in the ruined eastern city of Bakhmut, but pro-Kyiv forces are still holding on, Ukraine’s military says.
Reuters reported that Russia’s defence ministry said earlier on Saturday that fighters from the Wagner mercenary group had captured two more areas of Bakhmut, the main target of Moscow’s offensive in eastern Ukraine.
Serhiy Cherevatyi, a spokesperson for Ukraine’s eastern military command, told the 1+1 television channel:
Bloody battles unprecedented in recent decades are taking place in the middle of the city’s urban area.
Our soldiers are doing everything in bloody and fierce battles to grind down [the enemy’s] combat capability and break its morale. Every day, in every corner of this city, they are successfully doing so.
Smoke is seen in drone footage of Bakhmut released on Saturday. Photograph: Adam Tactic Group/Reuters
This article was written by Jamie Grierson (now) and Adam Fulton (earlier) and originally published on www.theguardian.com