The father of a four-year-old girl left fighting for her life in hospital after contracting Strep A has said they are “hoping and praying for a miracle”.
Camila Rose Burns, four, has been on a ventilator at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool since Monday.
Six children have died with an invasive form of the Strep A bacterial infection in recent months.
Dean Burns urged parents with any concerns about their children’s health to “scoop them up” and to get checked.
Experts say there are more Strep A cases than usual this year.
Strep A infections are usually mild, causing illness ranging from a sore throat to scarlet fever, but they can develop into a more serious invasive Group A Strep (iGAS) infection.
Health officials confirmed on Friday that six children had died with iGAS – including five under-10-year-olds in England – since September. Hanna Roap, a primary school pupil from Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan, in Wales, has also died and her family said their hearts have been