Sydney school students injured after science experiment goes wrong

At least 11 students at a primary school in the Australian city of Sydney have been injured after a classroom science experiment went wrong.

Reports say at least two students were taken via ambulance to hospital with serious burns. Nine others are believed to have suffered superficial burns.

An experiment involving sodium bicarbonate and methylated spirits was reportedly affected by a gust of wind.

Helicopters, paramedics and fire engines responded to the incident.

It occurred at Manly West Public School around 13:00 (02:00 GMT) on Monday.

New South Wales Ambulance Acting Superintendent Phil Templemen said the wind had blown around some of the chemicals being used.

The children – believed to be aged between 10 and 11, according to reports – suffered burns to their bodies, including on their face, chest, lower abdomen and legs, said the Sydney Morning Herald (SMH).

One teacher was also treated for minor injuries.

Several parents who dropped by the school on Monday afternoon…

Continue Reading →

This article was written by and originally published on www.bbc.co.uk