Somalia hotel siege: Security forces says al-Shabab attack is over

Somali security forces have said they rescued 106 people who were trapped inside a hotel that had been stormed by militants on Friday night.

Twenty-one people died and 117 were injured in the 30-hour ordeal, the health ministry said. Officials say the fight to retake the hotel is now over.

The assailants used explosives to gain entry to Mogadishu’s Hayat Hotel before violently taking control.

Islamist militant group al-Shabab has taken responsibility for the attack.

Police Commander Abdi Hassan Mohammed Hijra told journalists about the numbers rescued, which he said included women and children, but did not give a death toll.

The hotel has been largely destroyed following intense fighting between the militants and security forces throughout Friday night and Saturday, with videos showing explosions and smoke billowing from the building’s rooftop.

“The security forces have ended the siege now and the gunmen are dead, we’ve had no incoming gunfire from the building in the past hour,”…

Continue Reading →

This article was written by and originally published on www.bbc.co.uk